June 18, 2010


I am so proud of myself for all the baking I have been doing! This is no inconsiderable feat, given that I am prone to burning/ botching everything I bake. But the idle hours of a rainy summer are best passed in the kitchen, and I have so many recipes that require the use of an oven, so I had to get over my irrational fear eventually.
This particular one I found was inspired by the 2 (!!) kilograms of cherries we had sitting on the counter. I had them plain for breakfast and lunch, but for my afternoon snack I wanted something a little more substantial. I decided to make a clafoutis, which is basicaly a huge thick pancake filled with fruit. You can use anything inside of them, I just chose cherries because I had them.


Cherry Clafoutis

2 cups cherries
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 cup flour 
1 cup sugar
1 vanilla pod or tsp. vanilla extract
powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
blanched sliced almonds (optional)

Turn your oven to 400 degrees.
Take the pits out of the cherries and slice them in half.
Place unsliced part down in a grease baking dish (around 9x11).
If you are using almonds, sprinkle them on top.
Beat the sugar and eggs.
Add flour and vanilla.
Add the milk slowly, stirring. You might not need all of it.
Pour batter into pan.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden and crunchy and it smells good.
Take it out, let it cool, flip it over, and enjoy :)

P.S. I think this would make a bombass dish to serve at brunch,
if you are in the mood to impress your friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment